Social norms are explained as:
- norms defining the appropriate behaviours within the society.
- informal rules that govern behaviour in groups and societies.
- unwritten rules of behaviour that are considered acceptable in a group or society.
- unwritten rules of behaviour shared by members of a given group or society.
- unwritten rules of beliefs, attitudes, and behaviours that are considered acceptable in a particular social group or culture.
- collectively held beliefs about what kind of behaviour is appropriate in a given situation
- shared standards of acceptable behaviours by groups.
- informal understandings that govern the behaviours of members of a society.