The personal data we collect and why we collect them
The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
- We don’t ask you for personal information unless we truly need it.
- We don’t share your personal information with anyone.
- We don’t store personal information unless required for the ongoing operation of our site and app.
We collect information directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of the LEARN IT Platform.
- Account and Profile Data: When you create an account and profile on LEARN IT Platform, we collect your name, email address, and other information you provide, such as topics that you follow or find interesting. You can choose to add your photo, country of residence, social media, and any other information to your public profile. Once you create a profile, others will be able to see certain information about your activity on LEARN IT, such as the questions and answers you post, your followers and who you follow, topics of interest to you, and the credentials you made public.
- Your Content: We collect the information and content that you post to LEARN IT Platform, including your questions, answers, comments, and photos. Unless you have posted certain content anonymously, your content, date and time stamps, and all associated comments are publicly visible on LEARN IT Platform. Your content may be indexed by search engines and be republished elsewhere on the Internet in accordance with our Terms of Service.
- Communication Records: We maintain a record when you communicate with us via email, through LEARN IT Platform, or otherwise. The LEARN IT Platform also provides a “Messages” feature that allows you to send direct messages through LEARN IT Platform to other users. We store these communications and information related to these messages, such as the date of the communication and to whom it was sent.
- Third-Party Application Login. You can log into your LEARN IT account using third-party applications such as Facebook or Google. When you log in using this method, we collect your name and email address associated with that third-party application for authentication and identity verification purposes.
It is LEARN IT’s policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating our website and app.
When visitors leave comments on the site or app we collect the data shown in the comment’s form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
An anonymized string created from your email address (also called a hash) may be provided to the Gravatar service to see if you are using it. After approval of your comment, your profile picture is visible to the public in the context of your comment.
If you upload images to the website or app, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site or on our app you may opt-in to saving your name, email address, and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited.
- Embedded content from other websites
Articles and questions on this site and app may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
How we use your information
We use the information we collect in various ways, including to:
- Provide, operate, and maintain our website.
- Improve, personalize, and expand our website.
- Understand and analyze how you use our website.
- Develop new products, services, features, and functionality.
- Communicate with you or provide you with updates and other information relating to the website.
- Send you emails
- Find and prevent fraud.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website or app, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profiles. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
The rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site or app or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitors’ comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
LEARN IT follows a standard procedure of using log files. These files log visitors when they visit websites. All hosting companies do this as a part of hosting services’ analytics. The information collected by log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date and time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of clicks. These are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. The purpose of the information is for analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movement on the website, and gathering demographic information.
Another part of our priority is adding protection for children while using the Internet. We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their online activities.
LEARN IT does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. If you think that your child provided this kind of information on our website or app, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will do our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.